So, tax notices are coming out in the middle to the end of July. If you think the tax assessed value has come in too high, you have a few options to consider that will assist you with the dispute.

Here’s the 3-step process you need to look into:

  1. Contact your favorite local real estate agent. (We recommend us, but we’re biased.) Why? Because with MLS access, we can get you comparables. In order to say that your home is worth less than the county says it is, you’ll need a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 5 comparable homes which sold in your area during 2011. Real estate agents have access to the true price that those homes sold for.
  2. Next, you’ll need to complete an appeal form. We can help you do that.
  3. Then, submit both the comparables and the appeal form to the Salt Lake County Board of Equalization, either by mail or in person. This is located at 2001 State St, Salt Lake City, UT 84190.

If you purchased your home during 2014, and your purchase price itself was less than the county’s assessed value, than the process is also simple: attach a copy of your HUD-1 settlement statement (closing statement) and the appraisal of your home, along with the appeal form. Submit it to the above address, again either by mail or in person.

If you refinanced in 2014, you can do the same thing if you have an actual appraisal. Make a copy of the appraisal, fill out the appeal form, and submit it to the above address.

There is a deadline, though: the appeal form and any other paperwork must be into the Board of Equalization by September 15th.

The good news is that in this process, you’re not alone. That’s because The Stern Team is here to help. This is a service we provide FREE to our clients along the Wasatch Front, and we’re happy to help. If you have any questions about the process, feel free to contact us directly: email us at, or use the chat interface at the bottom right of your screen.

Salt Lake County
Salt Lake County Government Center and Board of Equalizations:
2001 S. State St. SLC UT 84190-3050

Davis County
Davis County Administration Bldg and Board of Equalizations:
61 S. Main Street Farmington UT 84025
801-451-3367 or 801-451-3329

Utah County
100 E Center Street, Room 1100. Provo UT 84606

Tooele County
47 South Main Tooele, UT 84074